Opening up...

In the past few days, we've made a number of significant changes to how openATTIC is developed and managed. The main openATTIC source code repository is now located on BitBucket, and we've introduced a new development/branching process. We've also made the openATTIC Jira project open to the public, so anyone can review existing isses and get a glimpse into what we're working on.

We're trying to make our ongoing development work on openATTIC more approachable and accessible to external users and developers. In order to reach this goal, we've passed several mile stones in the past few days.

Before, the development on the openATTIC code base revolved around a Mercurial repository that was hosted on an internal server. Eeach push triggered an action that pushed every new ChangeSet to our public BitBucket repository as well, so the public repo was always on the same level as the internal repo. However, this applied to the default branch only - internal development or feature branches did not appear on BitBucket.

In order to make better use of some BitBucket features like Forks and Pull Requests, we made the decision to transition our development focus to the Mercurial repository on Bitbucket instead. The internal hg repo now only acts as a local mirror for backup purposes, by pulling changes from BitBucket via a cron job.

While this is more a procedural than a technical change, it was an important first step for us. Now, every ChangeSet is pushed into a repository hosted on BitBucket directly.

Going forward, each developer should perform ongoing development in a personal fork of the openATTIC main repository. This makes it much easier to work on more complex features in separate branches and fosters collaboration, by giving other developers direct access to the work in progress. We also plan on making use of pull requests and the associated review functionality more intensively, to improve the code quality and give other developers more insight into other parts of the code base. New features and other more complex changes will only be merged after a review has been performed.

We've also introduced a separate development branch for this, which will act as a staging area for code that has been merged via a pull request or direct push. New development work and feature branches will be derived from the development branch. Only after all tests have passed, a merge from the development branch into the default branch will be performed. Our goal is to always keep the default branch in a tested, stable state (no tests failing), so it could potentially be used to perform a release build at any time.

Last but not least we're working on opening up our currently internal Jira issue tracking system for external developers and users. As a first step, the openATTIC project is now publicly visible, in read-only mode. Anyone can look at all the issues that we've created, to get a better insight into what we're currently working on and what's still in the pipeline. For now, bug reports still have to be submitted via BitBucket, but we've applied for an Open Source license key for Jira, so hopefully we're no longer limited by the user restriction of the current license soon.

If Atlassian approves our application, we'll migrate the openATTIC Jira project to a dedicated instance on and will enable issue creation and commenting on existing issues. Pulling issues from BitBucket into Jira is a tedious process (there is no direct synchronization), so this will help us to reduce the number of "pockets of information" and to focus the development efforts.

Update (2015-10-09) Atlassian approved our request for an Open Source License in record time and we've now moved the openATTIC project to a new shiny new dedicated Jira instance on We're very grateful for this generous offer from Atlassian. Thank you!


Comments powered by Disqus